It is important to us that you are confident that any personal information we hold about you will be treated in a way which ensures protection of your personal information.
Who are we
What personal information do we collect?
When we refer to personal information we mean information that identifies, or is capable of identifying, you. This includes, for example, your name, date of birth, address, contact details, account details and occupation.
If you engage us to provide services to you, we may collect personal information about your financial situation or goals in order to recommend mortgage and insurance products that we are permitted to advise on (Products).
Why do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information for the purposes of our and relevant third parties’ services and relationship with you (refer to section below: “Who do we disclose your personal information to?”). For example:
- responding to your requests or inquiries;
- providing services to you (e.g. to enable us to recommend Products to you);
- sending communications and direct marketing to you about products and services we think may be of interest to you (whether through mail, telephone or electronic means (including email and SMS/MMS);
- market research; and
- any other purpose authorised by you or the Privacy Act.
If you do not wish to receive marketing information, you may ‘opt out’ at any time by notifying us.
How do we collect your personal information?
Generally we will collect your personal information directly from you. For example, we collect your personal information directly from your use of our website and the information that you submit to the website. We also collect your personal information if you use the “contact us” functionality on our website and you provide the personal information during conversations between you and us.
We may also collect your personal information from:
- NZ Financial Services Group Limited (NZFSG) and its related bodies corporate;
- credit reporting agencies;
- with your authorisation, banks (e.g. through the use of illion Bank Statements) and employers;
- Product Providers (e.g. during the term of any loan or insurance we have arranged on your behalf, in order to answer your queries or assist you with your financial arrangements as your circumstances change). If applicable, the Product Providers may also periodically disclose your loan balance or premium to us in connection with the payment of ongoing commission to us over the term of your loan or insurance; and
- any other person authorised by you or the Privacy Act.
If you provide any personal information about anyone else to us, you confirm that you have collected that personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act and that the individual concerned has:
- has been informed of their right to access and request correction of their personal information.
Updating your personal information
We will generally rely on you to ensure the information we hold about you is accurate. If any of your details change, please let us know as soon as possible by contacting us.
Who do we disclose your personal information to?
We may disclose your personal information to the following people if we consider it necessary to do so for the purposes described in section How do we collect your personal information? above:
- NZFSG and its related bodies corporate;
- Product Providers and other prospective lenders, third parties or other intermediaries in relation to your finance or insurance requirements (including a prospective lender’s mortgage insurer (if any), any person with whom a lender or insurer proposes to enter into contractual arrangements, any person who provides a guarantee or security and any trustee and any assignee or potential assignee of a lender’s or insurer’s rights);
- our referral partners who can help you with other services;
- contractors or service providers;
- investors, or any entity that has an interest in our business or any entity to whom we consider assigning or transferring any of our rights or obligations or selling all or part of our business;
- anyone who we are legally required or authorised to share your information with, including regulators and government agencies;
- to auditors (such as NZFSG) to ensure we are providing services to you that are in your best interests, and in accordance with current regulations;
- your employer and referees, as well as credit reporting and identity verification agencies; and
- any other person or entity authorised by you or the Privacy Act.
You acknowledge and agree that credit reporting agencies may hold your credit information (including default information) on their systems and use such information to provide their credit reporting services, which may include providing your credit information (including default information) to their customers.
Prior to disclosing any of your personal information to another person or organisation, we will take all reasonable steps to satisfy ourselves that the person or organisation has a commitment to protecting your personal information at least equal to our commitment.
Do we disclose your personal information to anyone outside New Zealand?
We may use cloud storage to store the personal information we hold about you. The cloud storage and the IT servers may be located outside New Zealand.
We may also disclose personal information to NZFSG and its related bodies corporate, and third party suppliers and service providers located overseas for some of the purposes listed above.
Are you required to provide personal information to us?
You are not required to provide any personal information to us but if you choose not to it might affect our ability to provide services to you and your ability to obtain finance, insurance and other Products from Product Providers.
In most circumstances it will be necessary for us to identify you in order to successfully do business with you. However, where it is lawful and practicable to do so, we will offer you the opportunity of doing business with us without providing us with personal information, for example, if you make general inquiries about interest rates or current promotional offers.
You may choose to interact with our website anonymously, but we will not be able to contact you unless you provide your personal information.
The People’s Company follows a standard procedure of using log files. These files log visitors when they visit websites. All hosting companies do this and a part of hosting services’ analytics. The information collected by log files include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), date and time stamp, referring/exit pages, and possibly the number of clicks. These are not linked to any information that is personally identifiable. The purpose of the information is for analyzing trends, administering the site, tracking users’ movement on the website, and gathering demographic information.
Access and correction to your personal information
You may access and request correction of any of the personal information that we hold about you at any time by contacting us.
Cookies and IP addresses
While our cookies do not collect personal information, if you submit your name and email address as part of your usage, then we will link that personal information with the cookies information that we have previously collected from you.
If you do not wish to receive cookies, you can set your browser so that your computer does not accept them.
For more general information on cookies, please read “What Are Cookies”.
As our website is linked to the internet, and the internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide any assurance regarding the security of transmission of information you communicate to us online. We also cannot guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the internet. Accordingly, any personal information or other information which you transmit to us online is transmitted at your own risk.
Links and third party advertisements
Our website may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. Our website may also display advertisements, which are hosted by third parties.
We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party website or advertisement providers and we are not responsible for other privacy policies or the content of any third party website or advertisements. Third party websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
Advertising Partners Privacy Policies
Note that The People’s Company has no access to or control over these cookies that are used by third-party advertisers.
Third Party Privacy Policies
You can choose to disable cookies through your individual browser options. To know more detailed information about cookie management with specific web browsers, it can be found at the browsers’ respective websites.
CCPA Privacy Rights (Do Not Sell My Personal Information)
Under the CCPA, among other rights, consumers have the right to:
Request that a business that collects a consumer’s personal data disclose the categories and specific pieces of personal data that a business has collected about consumers.
Request that a business delete any personal data about the consumer that a business has collected.
Request that a business that sells a consumer’s personal data, not sell the consumer’s personal data.
If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us.
Another part of our priority is adding protection for children while using the internet. We encourage parents and guardians to observe, participate in, and/or monitor and guide their online activity.
The People’s Company does not knowingly collect any Personal Identifiable Information from children under the age of 13. If you think that your child provided this kind of information on our website, we strongly encourage you to contact us immediately and we will do our best efforts to promptly remove such information from our records.
Phone number: 0800 843 736
The People’s Finance – firstname.lastname@example.org
The People’s Insurance – email@example.com
The People’s Property Management – firstname.lastname@example.org